Watarrka (Kings Canyon)
The Kings Canyon is part of the Watarrka National Park in NT. Sitting at the western end of the George Gill Range, it is 323 km southwest of Alice Springs and 1,316 km south of Darwin.
The walls of Kings Canyon are over 100 metres high, with Kings Creek at the bottom. Part of the gorge is a sacred Aboriginal site and visitors are discouraged from walking off the walking tracks.
Three walks exists at Kings Canyon. The 2 km (return) and approximately 1 hour Kings Creek Walk traces the bottom of the gorge. At the end of the walk is a platform, with views of the canyon walls above. The 6 km (loop) and 3-4 hour Kings Canyon Rim Walk traces the top of the canyon. A steep climb at the beginning of the walk, which locals call "Heartbreak Hill" (or "Heart Attack Hill", due to its steepness), takes visitors up to the top, with spectacular views of the gorge below and of the surrounding landscape. About half way during the walk, a detour descends to Garden of Eden, a permanent waterhole surrounded by lush plant life. The last half of the walk passes through a large maze of weathered sandstonedomes, reminiscent of the Bungle Bungle. A slow descent brings the visitor back to the starting point. The loop can also be done in reverse (anti-clockwise), but the National Park Rangers encourage visitors to walk in one direction.
The 22 km Giles Track connects Kings Canyon to Kathleen Springs and is popular with more adventurous hikers.
- 10 Day Top End and Red Centre Crocodile Rock Adventure
- 10 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Classic Tour (Wayoutback Wanderer)
- 6 Day Central Australian Photographic Tour
- 3 Day Goanna Dreaming Red Centre 4WD Tour
- 3 Day Small Group 4WD Eco Experience Tour
- 4 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Wallaby Dreaming Tour
- 5 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Kangaroo Dreaming Tour
- 7 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Central Discoverer Classic Tour
- 10 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Adventure Tour (Crocodile Rock)
- 4 Day Ayers Rock, Red Centre and Alice Springs Tour - (Galah Dreaming)
- 7 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Adventure Tour (Rock to Top)
- 3 Day Ayers Rock Tour (Cockatoo)
- 10 Day Classic Darwin to Alice Springs Tour (Wayoutback Wanderer)