Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
Kata Tjuta, sometimes written Tjuṯa (Kata Joota), and also known as Mount Olga (or colloquially as The Olgas), are a group of large domed rock formations located about 365 km southwest of Alice Springs. Uluru, 25 km to the east, and Kata Tjuta form the two major landmarks within the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.
The 36 domes that make up Kata Tjuta cover an area of 21.68 km2, are composed of conglomerate, a sedimentary rockconsisting of cobbles and boulders of varying rock types including granite and basalt, cemented by a matrix of sandstone.
The highest point, Mount Olga, is 1,066m above sea level, or approximately 546m above the surrounding plain (198m higher than Uluru).
The alternative name, The Olgas, comes from the tallest peak, Mt. Olga. At the behest of Baron Ferdinand von Mueller, Mt. Olga was named in 1872 by Ernest Giles, in honour of Queen Olga of Württemberg (born Grand Duchess Olga of Russia, daughter of Tsar Nicholas I). She and her husband King Charles I of Württemberg had marked their 25th wedding anniversary the previous year by, amongst other things, naming Mueller a Freiherr (baron), making him Ferdinand von Mueller; this was his way of repaying the compliment.
On 15 December 1993, a dual naming policy was adopted that allowed official names consisting of both the traditional Aboriginal name and the English name. As a result, Mount Olga was renamed Mount Olga / Kata Tjuta. On 6 November 2002, following a request from the regional Tourism Association, the order of the dual names was officially reversed to Kata Tjuta / Mount Olga.
- 10 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Classic Tour (Wayoutback Wanderer)
- 10 Day Top End and Red Centre Crocodile Rock Adventure
- 6 Day Central Australian Photographic Tour
- Overnight Dingo Dreaming Red Centre Uluru (Ayers Rock) Tour
- 1.5 Day Perentie Dreaming Red Centre Uluru (Ayers Rock) Tour
- 3 Day Goanna Dreaming Red Centre 4WD Tour
- 3 Day Small Group 4WD Eco Experience Tour
- 4 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Wallaby Dreaming Tour
- 5 Day 4WD Uluru Red Centre Kangaroo Dreaming Tour
- 7 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Central Discoverer Classic Tour
- 10 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Adventure Tour (Crocodile Rock)
- Overnight Dingo Dreaming Red Centre Safari
- 4 Day Ayers Rock, Red Centre and Alice Springs Tour - (Galah Dreaming)
- 7 Day Alice Springs to Darwin Adventure Tour (Rock to Top)
- 3 Day Ayers Rock Tour (Cockatoo)
- 10 Day Classic Darwin to Alice Springs Tour (Wayoutback Wanderer)