Devils Marbles (Karlu Karlu)
Known as Karlu Karlu to the land's Aboriginal traditional owners, the ‘Devils Marbles’ are gigantic, rounded granite boulders, some spectacularly poised amongst a remarkable landscape. Scattered clusters of these ‘marbles’, including many balancing rocks which are spread across a wide, shallow valley.
The Reserve is accessible all year round and has a network of pathways with information boards and a basic camping area. Between May and October each year Rangers offer a program of live events at the site as part of their Territory Parks Alive Program.
Accounts of Aborigines believing the site to be eggs of the mythical Rainbow Serpent are incorrect. In reality, a number of traditional 'Dreaming' stories (none of which are about serpents) are present at Karlu Karlu, hence its great importance as a sacred site. These stories are alive and well and are passed on from generation to generation of Traditional Owners. Only a handful are considered suitable to tell to uninitiated visitors.
Most of the conservation reserve is a Registered Sacred Site, protected under the Northern Territory Aboriginal Sacred Sites Act.
On Tuesday 28 October 2008 ownership of Karlu Karlu/Devils Marbles was officially passed from the Parks and Wildlife Service of the Northern Territory back to the Traditional Owners at a ceremony held on the reserve. The reserve is now leased back to the Parks Service under a 99 year lease and the site is now managed by Rangers and Traditional Owners in joint partnership. Visitor access has not been affected.
- 3 Day Cicada Dreaming Alice Springs to Darwin Safari
- 7 Day Red Centre & Top End Rock to Top Adventure
- 10 Day Red Centre & Top End Crocodile Rock Adventure Safari
- 10 Day Red Centre & Top End Wayoutback Wanderer Safari
- 3 Day Cicada Dreaming Safari (Darwin to Alice Springs)
- 6 Day Top End to Red Centre Northern Exposure Adventure
- 6 Day Top End to Red Centre Up Top Down Under Classic Safari
- 10 Day Top End and Red Centre Crocodile Rock Adventure
- 10 Day Top End & Red Centre - Classic Wayoutback Wanderer Safari